The Bernese mountain dog is lovable and big. It is known for having traits such as loyalty and attentiveness. It is precisely because of these attributes that it needs to be included in different types of family activities.
What is more, it learns quickly regardless of the fact that it takes a longer duration to mature. To take proper care of this breed, there are a couple of things you need to bear in mind, and some of these are as highlighted below.
- As soon as you get the Bernese mountain dog, it is advisable to have it vaccinated. Afterward, you should ensure it gets yearly vaccinations booster to ensure its immunity from diseases is enhanced. In addition to this, it should also be de-wormed after every 3 months and consult with a vet for the purpose of flea control. Vets bills can be costly but by taking out a good pet insurance plan will help with any unexpected vets bills.
- The kind of food you choose for the breed should be high grade. For quality products, settle for meat and avoid crude protein or keep it a minimum of 30%. Crude fat should not exceed 20%, and the fiber content should at the very least be 4% or lower.
- When it wakes up, it should spend quality time with the family and not left in the backyard alone.
- The dog should be trained while it is still at the puppy stage. This is because of its huge size. The earlier you teach it household manners and basic obedience, the higher the chances you will end up with a well-behaved dog. Since they are always eager to please and quick at learning, training a Bernese should not be a difficult task.
- Take into consideration the fact that these breeds take a longer duration to mature compared to other breeds and for this reason; you need to exercise a high level of gentleness and patience. The Bernese dog should be taught how to socialize with other family members from an early age.
A lot of dog breeds have health problems, and all responsible dog owners should have sufficient dog insurance as you should have regular visits to the vets and some treatments may be costly.